At least ten people died on Friday after drinking toxic alcohol in Jhelum.
Deaths were reported in Jhelum’s Christian Colony area which, widely known as ‘sharab ghot’ amongst locals, is notorious for its production of alcohol.
Amongst those who have died were guests attending a wedding celebration last night.
The alcohol produced in this area is sold widely within Jhelum and deaths have also been reported in areas beyond Christian Colony where alcohol produced at ‘sharab ghot’ has been consumed.
The development comes a day after the Sindh High Court order an immediate closure of all wine shops across Sindh.
The incident highlights the proliferation of low-grade liquor in the country, which officially bars people from drinking in the country.
While higher income Pakistanis buy bootlegged higher grade alcohol at heavily inflated prices, the poor often resort to home-brews that can contain methanol, commonly used in anti-freeze and fuel.
Consumption of methanol can lead to blindness, liver damage and death. In 2007, 40 people were killed in Karachi after drinking contaminated liquor.