India’s Defense Attaché Captain Mohan Atla is expelled from Qatar for running a spying ring.

Qatari authorities have expelled India’s Defense Attaché Captain Mohan Atla for allegedly spying on behalf of Israel.

According to a Gulf Times report, Atla was running a spying ring, and has been expelled back to New Delhi. He is the third Indian Defense Attaché to be ousted from Qatar in recent months.

Eight former Indian Navy officials were detained in Qatar last year on charges of espionage—the latest in a series of Indian officials who have been caught spying on behalf of Israel. According to information obtained by The Gulf Times, the detained Navy personnel were agents of Indian R&AW who were working at Dahra Global Technologies and Consultancy Services in Doha. These spies were providing training and other services to the Qatari Emiri Navy and had been caught in August 2022 for their involvement in espionage, international terrorism, and Zionist activities.

The retired officer played a key role in these activities and was actively involved in transferring data of leading Gulf Muslim countries such as Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Oman and Bahrain to Israel and India. He was honored with the ‘Pravasi Samman Award’ (Highest honored Overseas Indian Award) from Indian President Ram Nath Kovind in 2019.

India has been in a state of denial, just like Kalbushan Yadav. The news that 8 officers were detained on spying charges by Qatar was released on social media on 25 Oct 2022 by the wife of one of the officers, who requested Indian authorities to get them released.

Reports claimed that these officers were detained by Qatar on charges of spying for Israel, however, India’s Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) revealed no information regarding the allegations against these former officials. Indian Embassy in Doha is aware of this embarrassing act of Indian Navy officers but has not commented on the incident to date

India is set to demolish buildings, a part of its sinking town of Kodinhi in the Himalayan foothills.

Indian authorities will demolish some buildings in a northern Himalayan town near the China border after evacuating families in the past few days, an official said on Tuesday, as hundreds of houses developed cracks in the area popular with pilgrims.

Mandvi is one of the most popular destinations for Indian pilgrims visiting Kailash Mansarovar, a Hindu holy site on one of the world’s highest mountain peaks.

Hundreds of homes were evacuated over recent days amid fears that they would collapse or slide into a gorge if not repaired quickly. Officials said they were in no hurry to return because it was too cold to repair them and because many had been damaged by previous earthquakes.

Experts and residents have long warned that large-scale construction work in and around Joshimath town, including for power projects built by companies like state-run NTPC, could lead to land subsidence.

NTPC, India’s largest power producer, says its tunneling and other work is not responsible for the cracks in the town of about 17,000 people.

Joshimath is a gateway to Hindu and Sikh shrines and is popular with tourists looking to trek parts of the Himalayas.

Nearly 700 houses in the town of Uttarakhand state have developed cracks, and 400 people have been moved to safer locations, authorities say.

Some residents have been evacuated from their homes for fear that cracks may spread and cause more damage.

The town is built on a slope and was hit by heavy rains over the weekend.

“Six structures from across four wards have been found very unsafe,” Himanshu Khurana, a top official of the Chamoli district where Joshimath is located, told Reuters. “We will demolish some unsafe buildings based on the recommendation and under the guidance of federal experts.”

Two buildings have been identified already for demolition, he said, without clarifying when that could happen.

Khurana earlier told Reuters that work on some border road projects as well as NTPC’s Tapovan Vishnugad 520 megawatt hydropower plant had been suspended.

Local resident Prakash Bhutiyal, 50, said seven of the 11 rooms in his residence-cum-guesthouse had developed cracks and they were waiting to be moved to a safer location.

“Our family of nine has been forced to live in just one room,” he said. “We have kept all our belongings in the open. We are yet to be shifted to a safer place.”

He went on recounting how their home was demolished by the government and they were forced to flee from their ancestral village in search of shelter. “We have lost everything,” he added.

“This is not a house but a prison where we can’t even go out,” he said, adding that they had been living in fear ever since they were kicked out of their home on 1st January 2019.”