Dar’s ‘affidavit’ the real money trail of London flats: Imran

ISLAMABAD: Finance Minister Ishaq Dar’s affidavit, given in a money laundering reference against Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) leaders 17 years ago, remained the focus of press conferences by Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) and the PML-N leaders following Monday’s hearing of the Panamagate case.

PTI chairperson Imran Khan termed Mr Dar’s statement proof of the “real money trail” of the prime minister’s offshore assets, while PML-N leaders challenged the veracity of the statement given under duress during General Pervaiz Musharraf’s military rule.

Mr Dar had given a handwritten statement to a magistrate on April 25, 2000, alleging that the Sharif brothers had used the Hudaibya Paper Mills as a cover for money laundering in the late 1990s.

After becoming an approver, Mr Dar had confessed that he had laundered Nawaz Sharif’s money, said Mr Khan, adding that this was the actual money trail of the PM’s London flats.


PML-N argues that the affidavit was given under duress


He said Mr Dar had given the statement while being investigated by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB), and when he filed an appeal against the NAB court decision in a high court, the bureau did not challenge it. “That is because the NAB chairperson was appointed by Nawaz Sharif.”

He said the Supreme Court had also directed NAB to provide documentary evidence as to why it had not gone into an appeal against the high court’s decision.

The prime minister has even made his own father, Mian Sharif, a ‘money launderer’ by placing the onus of their offshore investments on him, the PTI chief said.

The Sharif family’s Gulf Steel Mill had been running a huge loss, approximately 15 million dirhams in Dubai, how could it have been sold off for 12m dirhams, Mr Khan questioned.

On the other hand, PML-N’s Daniyal Aziz and Prime Minister’s Adviser Mussadiq Malik held a press conference at the Press Information Department where they claimed that Mr Dar’s statement had been obtained under duress.

“When a person is taken to the basement of Attock Fort, he says whatever he is asked to say,” said Mr Malik.

The adviser said Mr Dar’s case had been tried thrice in the past and the decisions had been in his favour. “Double jeopardy law does not allow the trial of a person more than once on a specific issue.”

Govt issues order to place JuD chief Hafiz Saeed under house arrest

The provincial authorities on Monday issued orders to place Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed under house arrest, DawnNews reported and JuD spokesperson later confirmed.

The government launched a crackdown against JuD and a heavy contingent of police was deployed around the JuD headquarter and offices in Muridke and Lahore.

“A large police team arrived (at JuD headquarters) and told us that Hafiz would be placed under house arrest,” said the secretary of information for JuD, Nadeem Awan.

Awan said the police told them they had an arrest warrant for Saeed and five others at JuD headquarters.

Hafiz Saeed was reportedly present at the Qudsia Mosque located in Chauburji area of Lahore. Contingents of police and other law-enforcing agencies reached the area and surrounded the premises, sources said.

Police sources further informed that Saeed will be shifted to his residence in the Johar Town area of the provincial capital, which will then be declared as a sub-jail.

Saeed has been detained under Section 11-EEE(1) of the Anti-Terrorism Act, 1977, a notification issued by the interior ministry said.

Meanwhile, the district intelligence committee has suggested it to the government to put the JuD chief’s name in fourth schedule.

Moreover, national flags have been hoisted at the JuD offices in Lahore, instead of party flags, on the directives of provincial home department, it added.

The provincial authorities have also started to remove the banners of JuD from the roads of Lahore.

The move comes after years of pressure on Pakistan to put Saeed on trial and could ease recently escalating tensions with neighbour and arch-foe India.

Also read: Why aren’t we taking action against Hafiz Saeed, PML-N lawmaker asks

Saeed had been accused by the United States and India of masterminding the 2008 attacks on the Indian financial capital Mumbai that killed 166 people.

He, however, has repeatedly denied involvement in the 2008 Mumbai attacks.

Awan said the Pakistani government had been under pressure from the United States to take action against Saeed or face sanctions. “This government has buckled under the pressure.”

In 2012, the United States announced a bounty of $10 million on Hafiz Saeed for his alleged role in the attack in which six American citizens were also killed.

Inzamam calls for one captain in all three formats

LAHORE: Pakistan chief selector Inzamam-ul-Haq on Friday indirectly advised Test skipper Misbah-ul-Haq to leave captaincy for a man who can lead the team in all three formats.

Talking to reporters at a local function in the wake of the national team’s disastrous tours of Australia and New Zealand, Inzamam said Misbah was in the “best position” to decide his future.

“I haven’t given any advice to the PCB over the captaincy issue but I think the perfect man for the job is one who can lead in all three formats,” the former batting great said.

“Misbah is a very intelligent man and he is in the best position to take a decision about his future.”

Misbah’s advancing years have seen a lot of criticism heaped on him.

However, apart for the tours of New Zealand and Australia — where Pakistan were whitewashed 2-0 and 3-0 in Tests respectively — the 42-year-old has been Pakistan’s shining star since being appointed captain six years ago.

He inspired Paki­stan to the top of the ICC Test team rankings for the first time in history last year.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) — following a common practice in the cricketing world — has appointed different captains for all three formats of the game.

Pakistan didn’t fare any better in the ODI series Down Under, losing 4-1.

“We took several steps before sending the team to New Zealand and Australia and sent the best bunch of players,” Inzamam said, defending his selection.

“Fitness remains a problem for the team and we’re taking steps to improve it.”

Inzamam added that while he was independent as a chief selector, he does consult the team management before picking players.

The chief selector also defended sending all-rounder Mohammad Hafeez prior to the start of the ODI series against the Aussies.

“He was the best player of the national one-day tournament,” Inzamam said, adding they needed to make big changes to rraise a formidable team in all three formats.

He was also looking forward to the Pakistan Super League (PSL), which runs from February 9 to March 5.

“It will give us the opportunity to check out the best players and select a good team for the tour of the West Indies,” he added.

Family claims ‘medical negligence’ caused patient’s death, AKUH vows probe

A case of alleged medical negligence was reported at the Aga Khan University Hospital in Karachi on Thursday, when attendants claimed that their patient had died after being administered wrong medical treatment by a trainee doctor.

The issue surfaced on Friday after a video went viral on social media in which the son of the deceased patient is seen complaining about the alleged negligence of the AKU hospital staff which reportedly resulted in the death of his father.

Following the alleged negligence, the hospital administration was compelled to issue a statement in which it expressed condolences with the bereaved family.

However, the hospital claimed that the family had resorted to violent behaviour towards the hospital staff and administration.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?app_id=&channel=http%3A%2F%2Fstaticxx.facebook.com%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter%2Fr%2FSh-3BhStODe.js%3Fversion%3D42%23cb%3Df379818bf90ba24%26domain%3Dwww.dawn.com%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.dawn.com%252Ff15e20993e97e78%26relation%3Dparent.parent&container_width=702&href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FAKUHPakistan%2Fphotos%2Fa.284901388283195.56293.111841388922530%2F1114155295357796%2F%3Ftype%3D3%26permPage%3D1&locale=en_US&sdk=joey&width=650

The statement released by the hospital further said that the family gave “little consideration to the other very sick patients and their families also in the hospital during this time”.

Moreover, the AKU hospital management has said that it will investigate the incidence of alleged medical negligence.

No proceedings in NA till scuffle issue settled

ISLAMABAD: A day after the National Assembly witnessed a brawl between lawmakers from the opposition Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) and the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), Speaker Sardar Ayaz Sadiq declared on Friday that the house would not conduct any business till a decision on the way forward was taken by the parliamentary leaders.

The proceedings of the assembly were adjourned by the speaker for 30 minutes prior to a meeting of the parliamentary leaders to discuss Thursday’s unpleasant incident that ended without a decision. The speaker later informed the house that more time was required to reach a decision and adjourned it to meet again on Monday at 4pm. The parliamentary leaders in the National Assembly will also meet an hour before the session’s time.

A highlight of the parliamentary leaders’ meeting was an offer of resignation from the speaker if the opposition has objections against him. Mr Sadiq told reporters that all the parliamentary leaders had said in response to his offer that they had full confidence in him.


Speaker says Afridi was suspended over failure to declare assets


He said the participants had agreed that all that happened was unfortunate and was not good for democracy and sanctity of parliament. He said the practice of trading allegations and shouting slogans in the house must come to an end.

The speaker had summoned the footage of the incident but disclosed that it was not played during the meeting. He said the matter involved excesses from both sides.

Stranger in the house

He also talked about the role of a ‘stranger in the house’ in the scuffle and said the Election Commi­ssion of Pakistan (ECP) had suspended the membership of PTI MNA Shahryar Afridi for his failure to submit his annual statement of assets and liabilities.

He said the NA secretarial staff went to Mr Afridi thrice to inform him that his membership was suspended and he could not take part in the proceedings, but he insisted he had submitted the statement. He was told that a notification for the restoration of his membership had not been issued by the ECP, but he refused to leave the house.

The speaker said that had he been informed by the staff, he would not have run the proceedings till the exit of the ‘stranger’ from the house.

An ECP official, when contacted, confirmed that Mr Afridi’s membership remained suspended. He said the membership of 66 MNAs had been suspended on Nov 15 and 65 of them had since submitted the required details. He revealed that Mr Afridi had submitted his statement to the ECP on Friday.

The official said the notification for the restoration of his membership would most probably be issued on Monday, after its approval by the commission.

The speaker said suggestions were made by the participants regarding respect of women members and the political leadership and avoi­ding a physical showdown.

He said one of the suggestions was that the parliamentary leaders make statements in the house deploring the incident. He said it was the responsibility of the senior leaders of each party to stop their members from using language that could trigger a brawl or disrupt the proceedings.

He said some parliamentary leaders wanted to consult their party leaderships and they would meet again on Monday to reach a decision.

Talking to reporters, PTI leader Shah Mehmood Qureshi said that no decision could be taken at the meeting but all the parties had condemned the incident. He said he would prepare a strategy after meeting Leader of Opposition Syed Khurshid Shah.

“The things will deteriorate if the membership of our member is suspended,” Mr Qureshi said.

He held some ministers responsible for vitiating the atmosphere. He said seriousness of ministers could lead to a congenial environment in the assembly.

Privilege motion

The PTI submitted a privilege motion against PML-N lawmakers, including Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, Mian Mannan and retired Capt Safdar, over the brawl.

The motion signed by 23 MNAs was submitted to the assembly secretariat. According to the motion, the PML-N lawmakers moved towards the opposition side and took physical aim at PTI MNAs while hurling abuses against them during the session.“This attack by the PML-N MNAs led to an outbreak of fisticuffs instigated by PML-N MNAs,” it said.

The party alleged that MNA Mannan had made an obscene gesture towards the PTI MNAs, including women, during the speech of its deputy parliamentary leader, Mr Qureshi.

The assembly turned into a battlefield on Thursday as the scuffle broke out between both parties’ lawmakers who exchanged blows and slaps and pushed one another. Both sides hold each other responsible for starting the braw