QUETTA: A complete strike was observed here on Tuesday in protest against killing of eight innocent people in a suicide blast on Monday.
The strike was called by political parties, including the Pakhtunkhwa Milli Awami Party, Awami National Party, Jamiat Ulema-i-Islam-Fazl, Pakistan Peoples Party, Balochistan National Party-Mengal and traders’ organisations.
All shops, markets, shopping malls and business establishments remained closed in the city throughout the day to condemn terrorism.
The Quetta city and areas on its outskirts presented a gloomy and deserted look. Traffic also remained thin as majority of the vehicles remained off the road. Most of the banks closed their main shutters, but served customers through small doors.ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD
Heavy contingents of police, Balochistan Constabulary and Frontier Corps were deployed in and around the city to deal with any untoward situation.
Political parties thanked people and the business community for keeping their business completely closed throughout the day. They said the peaceful people of Quetta had proved that they are against terrorism and want peace in Balochistan.
Meanwhile, the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) registered a first information report (FIR) of the suicide attack.
Police said that the FIR had been registered on a complaint of the Civil Lines SHO against unknown people under sections of the Pakistan Penal Code and the Anti-terrorist Act.
A team of senior police officers was investigating the incident.
The funeral prayer for two policemen and one Levies man, who lost their lives in the suicide blast, was performed at the Police Lines, Quetta. Home Minister Mir Ziaullah Langove, Inspector General of Police Mohsin Hassan Butt, DIG Quetta Abdul Razzak Cheema and other officials attended the funeral.