Allowing Nawaz to leave was a ‘mistake’, says PM Imran

Prime Minister Imran Khan on Thursday said that allowing former premier Nawaz Sharif to leave the country was a “mistake” and that his government “regretted” the decision.

In a wide-ranging interview to ARY News on Thursday night, the prime minister hinted that the government was pressurised into sending Nawaz abroad, saying that the reports presented to the government suggested that the PML-N supremo was severely ill.

The federal cabinet, he said, had held a long debate over whether the government should let Nawaz leave on humanitarian grounds.

Furthermore, the prime minister added, the court had declared that the government would be responsible, should anything happen to Nawaz. The premier also recalled that PML-N president Shehbaz Sharif submitted indemnity bonds worth Rs7 billion, promising Nawaz would return to the country.ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD

“Now we feel embarrassed. Now he [Nawaz] has started doing politics [from] there as well and, when you see him, it seems like there is nothing with him.

“We did not give and NRO, we tried our best to do what we could, but the medical opinion presented to us was that if we didn’t do anything, he [Nawaz] could die, that he might not even reach London. This is what we were told and after that we would have been held responsible. So after that we sent him in good faith.”

When asked if he would order an inquiry in order to confirm if he was presented with “fake reports”, the prime minister said that he had been in contact with Punjab Health Minister Dr Yasmin Rashid — whom he described as a “die-hard, visionary worker” of the ruling PTI — at the time and she conveyed all medical opinions regarding Nawaz’s condition. He said that Dr Faisal, who is an expert of infectious diseases, had concluded that Nawaz’s platelets count did not pose much of a threat but some related diseases may lead to serious problems.

In response to a question, the prime minister admitted that a royal had asked the government to let Nawaz leave, but refused to take a name citing “international relations”.

“They (Sharifs) do have connections abroad. But they (the royal) did not assert it, they said it in a very polite manner. It wasn’t like ‘if you don’t do this, this will happen’.”

He, however, insisted that the request from the unnamed king was “not an issue” for him.

“I would never have allowed [Nawaz to leave] if medical opinion did not suggest that his life in danger.”

Prime Minister Imran also lamented that the country had suffered in the past because “there have always been two laws, one for the powerful and one for the weak”.

He criticised the infamous verdict passed by then chief justice Mohammad Munir that “justified martial law” and added that it “showed that might is right”.

FATF blacklist

The PM also addressed the recent opposition move to block two bills regarding measures in compliance with the Financial Action Task Force (FATF). He pointed out that the country was placed on FATF grey list during PML-N’s tenure and the PTI government had introduced the bills in order to prevent the financial watchdog from placing Pakistan on its blacklist.

He warned that if Pakistan was placed on the blacklist, the country would suffer the same challenges as Iran as all international organisations would stop dealing with the country. As a result, he said, the rupee would fall which would lead to inflation.

“People talk about inflation now. If we are placed on the blacklist, we will experience inflation that would ruin our economy.”

He repeated that the incumbent government had inherited a crumbling economy, which has only now started to recover. If Pakistan was placed on the blacklist, the country “would face destruction that India is working towards”.

He condemned the opposition for blocking the legislation despite knowing that India has been trying to place Pakistan’s name on the blacklist for the past two years. He said that the opposition is insisting that the government takes out money laundering sections from the bills and have also proposed 34 amendments in the NAB Ordinance which essentially mean to “dig a grave and bury NAB in it”.

Peace Convoy of Rawalpindi police and eminent scholars and dignitaries of all sects reached  Taxila.

Rawalpindi

A convoy of Rawalpindi police and eminent scholars and dignitaries of all sects reached Taxila.

CPO Muhammad Ahsan Younis, SSP Operations Tariq Wilayat, Chief Traffic Officer Syed Ali Akbar, DSP Taxila Tahir Abbas Kazmi accompanied by scholars and dignitaries reached Central Jamia Masjid Lala Rukh Wah Cantt.

Among the scholars and dignitaries from Rawalpindi were Maulana Qazi Abdul Rashid, Maulana Abdul Ghafoor Tawhidi, Shaukat Jafari, Allama Zahid Kazmi, Syed Qasim Shah and Syed Rajab Shah.

At Jamia Masjid Lala Rukh, Maulana Muhammad Ishaq led by Pir Syed Ahmed Naqshbandi, members of Action Committee Syed Zahid Hussain, Asad Shah, Abdul Rahman Hussaini, Maulana Idrees, Malik Sajjad, Nisar Victor and Tariq Mehboob along with a large number of Ulema Welcome,

There is only one God, one Messenger and one book. Be united and live in peace and brotherhood, Maulana Muhammad Ishaq

The efforts of CPO Ahsan Younis are commendable, first they reached Murree and now Taxila with the peace caravan, full cooperation will be given for the establishment of law and order, Maulana Abdul Ghafoor Tawhidi

Condemns and discourages evil and hatred on social media and other forums and raises voice against it: Shaukat Jafri

The purpose of the caravan gathering for peace is love of homeland, they have gathered for stability and peace of homeland, Allama Zahid Kazmi

He always raised his voice for peace and will continue to play his role for peace and brotherhood in the future, said Pir Syed Ahmed Naqshbandi.

I pay tribute to all for coming together for peace and security, the caravan of peace will create an atmosphere of peace in the society, Qazi Abdul Rashid

Scholars of all sects are gathered in one place, this is tolerance and brotherhood, CPO Muhammad Ahsan Younis

I thank all the scholars and dignitaries, the purpose of the caravan of peace is to bring everyone together on the platform of tolerance and tolerance, CPO Muhammad Ahsan Younis

All resources are being utilized to ensure law and order during Muharram, CPO Muhammad Ahsan Younis

Spokesperson Rawalpindi Police

Strict security arrangements across the district CHAKWAL on the occasion of Muharram.

Strict security arrangements for important gatherings and processions held across the district on the occasion of Muharram on the instructions of Muhammad bin Ashraf District Police Officer Chakwal
The main procession of 6th Muharram started from Imambargah Mohajireen Bhoon Road Chakwal and passed through Talagang Road, Hospital Road, Old Vegetable Market, Mohalla Kasaban and ended at Imambargah Sarpak where mourning ceremony was also held.

The streets along the procession route were completely cordoned off with barbed wire and canopies.
Picketing was also carried out at the main squares and points of the city
Along with the procession, duties were also imposed on other important places
Full video recording and drone monitoring of the procession program will also be provided
The welfare of the force was also taken care of on the instructions of District Police Officer Chakwal
Elite Force and Mujahid Squad troops will continue patrolling the city
Traffic police have also been deployed on picketing and blockade duty to maintain the flow of traffic.
Strict checking of unregistered, non-sample number plates, vehicles with tinted windows and suspicious vehicles
Sub-Divisional Police Officer Saddar Circle, SHO City Chakwal, and other officers will also periodically check and brief the force.

Opposition tried to exploit govt over FATF legislation: Shibli

ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Information Shibli Faraz on Sunday posted on his official Twitter account the drafts of the proposals made by the opposition parties for bringing changes to the country’s accountability laws, terming them a “proof” of Prime Minister Imran Khan’s claim that the opposition had tried to make a bargain with the government during negotiations on the FATF legislation.

On the other hand, the main opposition Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) refuted the minister’s claim, stating that the changes in the accountability laws had come under discussion at a parliamentary committee constituted by National Assembly Speaker Asad Qaiser on the legislative business.

In his tweet, the minister said he was posting the documents as “the PML-N limited” had been asking the government to tell the nation as to who had sought an “NRO” — a term frequently used for “deal”.

Former military dictator Gen Pervez Musharraf had issued the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) in 2007 after an agreement with the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) to end all politically motivated cases against the politicians.

Mr Faraz posted three pages of the draft proposals submitted by the opposition seeking amendments to the National Accountability Ordinance (NAO) 1999 through which, according to him, the opposition was actually seeking an end to the cases against its leadership, saying “these are the documents through which the opposition sought an NRO”.

PML-N says changes in laws discussed by panel formed by NA speaker

Through one of the amendments to Section 18, he said, the opposition had suggested a five-year time frame for the National Accounta­bility Bureau (NAB) to take cognisance of any wrongdoing.

The proposed amendment says: “NAB shall not conduct any inquiry or investigation or file any reference for an alleged offence after the passage of five years from the date of the transaction or act constituting the offence.”

The document shows that the opposition has also proposed a new sub-section suggesting that “NAB shall not initiate action on allegations contained in a complaint which is anonymous or pseudonymous”.

The opposition has also proposed, according to the documents, that NAB shall not tale action in cases which do not involve public money and where the “amount involved is less than Rs1 billion”.

Mr Faraz also posted an amendment to Section 25 suggested by the opposition, which says: “Where at any time during inquiry or after the authorisation of investigation, before or after the commencement of the trial or during the pendency of an appeal, the holder of public office or any other person offers to return to NAB the assets or gains acquired or made in the course, or as a consequence of any offence under this ordinance, the chairman NAB may in his discretion, after taking into consideration the facts and circumstances of the case, accept the offer on such terms and conditions as he may consider necessary, and if the holder of public office or any other person agrees to return to NAB the amount determined by the NAB chairman, who shall then refer the case for the approval of the court or the case may be, for the release of the holder of public office or any other person as well as his co-accused.”

Though Mr Faraz made these documents public on Sunday, Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi, who is the head of the Special Parliamentary Committee on Legislative Business, had already disclosed most of the details of the opposition’s proposals on the floor of the National Assembly last month, declaring that the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) government had rejected them.

It was after the foreign minister’s statement in the assembly that the opposition later boycotted the parliamentary committee which was basically reviewing the laws that had been introduced by the government to meet the conditions of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), alleging that the minister had made public the discussion which was held in an informal meeting at the residence of the speaker.

The opposition had also announced that it would not hold negotiations with the government if the foreign minister was present in it. Later, the government and the opposition agreed on the FATF laws in the talks in which the government side was represented by Law Minister Farogh Naseem.

Mr Qureshi in his fiery speech in the assembly had alleged that the opposition wanted to have a “package deal” whereas the government had requested it to delink the FATF legislation and the NAB issue in the larger national interest.

The foreign minister categorically announced that a majority of the 35 proposals jointly made by the PPP and PML-N regarding changes in the accountability laws were not acceptable to the PTI and Prime Minister Imran Khan as these were against the party’s core principle of eliminating corruption.

Highlighting the opposition’s proposals regarding changes in the NAO, the minister had said the opposition wanted applicability of the accountability law to start from 1999, reduction in NAB chairman’s tenure, removal of money laundering from the list of cognisable offences, allowing the convicted persons to remain members of parliament till disposal of appeals and confining the time of taking cognisance by NAB of any wrongdoing to five years.

He had ridiculed the opposition’s proposal that allegations of corruption of less than Rs1 billion should not come under the NAB’s scope.

Opposition’s response

Interestingly, no one from the PPP or the PML-N denied the government’s claim about their proposals.

A senior PPP leader told  media that these proposals had been under discussion at various levels among the parties for the last more than 10 years and that the party had only discussed the changes in the NAB laws in the parliamentary committee at the request of the government.

PML-N lawmaker Khwaja Asif responded to the foreign minister’s speech the following day in the National Assembly, but did not talk about their specific proposals which had been mentioned by the minister. He simply alleged that the minister had “crossed all the limits of propriety” by disclosing the details of an informal meeting that was held at the speaker’s residence. He was of the opinion that there was no need for bringing the informal discussion on record.

Meanwhile, in response to the information minister’s tweet, PML-N information secretary and MNA Marriyum Aurangzeb said that the “incompetent PTI government did not have a clue on how to go about the FATF-related legislation which is why the parliamentary committee was constituted by the speaker to review the legislation

She said the approval of the special committee had been given by parliament. “Did the speaker ask for an NRO or did the entire parliament?” she asked.

She reiterated the challenge to Prime Minister Khan and “his stooges” to name those who had asked for an NRO. She said “the selected prime minister” had no power or authority to grant an NRO.

Ms Aurangzeb, who had also served as the information minister in the previous PML-N government, said: “This document waving and tweeting by Shibli Faraz shows his clear absence of confidence in the speaker.”

She said the information minister’s statements were an open indictment of the parliamentary committee which also included the government members wanted in the Mallam Jabba case, Peshawar BRT, Billion Tree Tsunami project, helicopter case, 23 secret accounts, foreign funding case, sugar and wheat theft and corruption.

Ms Aurangzeb said the opposition members had already braved “illegal custody and imprisonment” by NAB in death row cells and had been vindicated by the Supreme Court and high courts. Moreover, she said, the international rights bodies had already issued a charge sheet against “the NAB-Niazi alliance” for being an instrument of political engineering and victimisation.

“Will the opposition demand an NRO under all these circumstances or those who have been dodging NAB and the courts, including the president and the prime minister?” she asked.