Nawaz Sharif ‘unhappy’ with handling of Faizabad sit-in

ISLAMABAD: Upset by the mishandling of the Faizabad sit-in and the total surrender of his party’s government to the protesters, Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) chief Nawaz Sharif on Tuesday said that recent events had damaged the country’s repute at the international level.

Party sources told Dawn that in an “informal meeting” with the senior party leaders at Punjab House soon after appearing before an accountability court, the PML-N chief showed his displeasure over the language used in the one-sided army-brokered agreement between the government and the protesters.

Insiders said Mr Sharif was also unhappy because he was not consulted during talks with protesting leaders and over the preparation of the draft of the six-point agreement, where the government agreed to nearly all the protesters’ demands.

When Mr Sharif asked specific questions from Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal about the handling of the sit-in, the minister requested a “private meeting” with him over the issue. Later, sources said, Mr Iqbal and his deputy Talal Chaudhry briefed Mr Sharif on the issue.

Concerned over ‘negative message’ sent to Beijing, other capitals; seeks answers from interior minister

A senior party leader and a close associate of Mr Sharif’s told Dawn that the PML-N chief was perturbed because of the negative message this protest and its aftermath sent to foreign capitals, especially Beijing.

The PML-N leader who was privy to developments said Mr Sharif believed that there would be concerns in Washington, London, Paris and particularly Beijing, over recent developments in the country.

The Chinese were making a huge investment in the country in the form of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) and they definitely did not want to see religious extremism rear its head again, the source said.

“For the past four years, we have been telling the world that there has been a considerable decline in religious extremism in the country. Now, they have received the message that we are actually protecting religious extremism,” the senior leader quoted Mr Sharif as saying.

The party leader claimed that Mr Sharif was kept in the dark over the agreement and learned about it through the media, when it was presented before the high court.

Mr Sharif was of the view that Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi and others in the government must know if these protesters came to Islamabad on their own or if they had been “facilitated” by someone. The PML-N chief also wanted to know who actually drafted the agreement, which contained praise for the protesters and the role of the army.

Moreover, Mr Sharif expressed concerns over the use of arms and tear-gas shells by the protesters and asked the interior minister to investigate where they obtained these shells, which were not even available to the country’s law enforcement agencies.

When asked to comment, Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal told Dawn via text message that “no displeasure was expressed [by Mr Sharif] with me on any matter related to the interior ministry”.

Prominent among those present in the meeting were PML-N Chairman and Senator Raja Zafarul Haq, Senator Pervaiz Rashid and Railways Minister Khawaja Saad Rafique.

Talking to Dawn, Mr Rashid denied that the party chief had presided over a formal party meeting. He said various party leaders had gathered at Punjab House to meet Mr Sharif, and that during the meeting, the political situation of the country also came under discussion.

Mr Rashid said the former PM would proceed to Balochistan next week, where he would address a public meeting in Quetta on Dec 2. After that, Mr Sharif planned to head to London where his wife was undergoing cancer treatment. He said the PML-N chief was expected to return to the country after two weeks, when he would visit Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and south Punjab.

When contacted, Senator Raja Zafarul Haq claimed that party leaders had mostly discussed organisational matters and chalked out a plan for public meetings in the future.

Only ‘negotiated’ with army officials, not govt representatives: TLY chief Khadim Rizvi

Tehreek-i-Labaik Ya Rasool Allah (TLYR) chief Khadim Hussain Rizvi on Tuesday revealed that it was the army which ensured the government met the protesters’ terms.

“We told them [the government] that we cannot talk to you,” Rizvi told Samaa TV on Tuesday. “Then the army came in the middle and our companions met with army and ISI [Inter-Services Intelligence] bigwigs, generals etc.”

“They told us they will get all of our demands accepted,” Rizvi said in a startling revelation that shed light on why the government seemed to have capitulated so completely to the protesters.

Rizvi said that his team never met the interior minister — whose signatures were present on the agreement — and it “must have been” the army leadership which got Iqbal to sign the document.

Meanwhile, Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal on Tuesday said that the agreement that ended the Faizabad sit-in had not been desirable, but the government had been left with little choice in the matter.

“Document of finishing dharna was not desirable but there was little choice because if [the] situation had persisted [for] another 24 hrs there would be riots,” Iqbal said in a tweet on Tuesday.

After the weeks-long protest, which virtually paralysed the capital and led to several people losing their lives, the government had finally bent its knee to the protesters on Monday after Zahid Hamid resigned from his post as federal law minister.

The minister’s resignation came in the aftermath of Saturday’s bot­ched operation against protesters at Faizabad and ‘successful negotiations’ with leaders of the demonstration late Sunday night, official sources and state broadcaster PTV said.

Six people were killed while hundreds were injured during the operation. The terms of the agreement included blanket immunity for all those arrested during the crackdown on the agitating protesters.

The agreement between the government and the protesters to end the sit-in has subsequently faced much criticism.

Most prominently, Islamabad High Court Justice Shaukat Aziz Siddiqui had on Monday lashed out at the government as well as the army for mediating the agreement.

“The army chief, instead of following the orders of the chief executive, became a mediator,” Justice Siddiqui had pointed out as he sharply reprimanded the armed forces for straying out of their constitutional role.

“Who is the army to adopt a mediator’s role?” inquired the judge. “Where does the law assign this role to a major general?”

2 FC personnel martyred, 3 injured in Sibbi landmine explosion

Two Frontier Corps (FC) officials lost their lives while three others were injured on Wednesday in a landmine explosion in Balochistan’s Sibbi district.

According to security officials, an FC team was on a routine sweep in Sangan area of Sibbi when a landmine went off close to its vehicle.

The three officials injured as a result of the explosion were shifted to Sibbi Hospital and are undergoing treatment.

Heavy contingents of police, FC and Levies forces reached the area and cordoned it off to conduct a security operation there.

In a recent spate of terrorism in Balochistan, two senior police officials have been killed in Quetta during the ongoing month.

On Nov 9, DIG Telecommunication Hamid Shakeel was killed along with two policemen in a suicide attack in Chaman Housing Scheme.

A week later, Acting SP Investigation Muhammad Ilyas was gunned down in Nawan Killi.