SHO removed for refusing to release PML-N activists

RAWALPINDI: The windowpanes of the New Town model police station came crashing down and the fixture and furniture of the front desk were damaged when over 200 activists of the PML-N youth wing, led by former MNA Hanif Abbasi, attacked the building on Wednesday night.

The incident occurred after the registration of a case against three of the youth wing activists who were caught by the traffic police doing wheelie, the police said.

City Police Officer (CPO) Israr Ahmed Abbasi allegedly bowed to the political pressure and ordered the immediate transfer of the SHO Ghulam Asghar Chandio, after he refused to release the motorcycle riders and withdraw the case on the demand of Hanif Abbasi.

The SHO said about half an hour after the case was registered, Hanif Abbasi along with his supporters reached the police station and asked for the release of the three youth and their vehicles.

When CPO Abbasi was contacted, he said he had directed the SP Rawal Town to conduct an inquiry and submit a report within two days.

The CPO said the youth wing activists claimed that they did not attack the police station and that the damage was caused by the policemen themselves.

When the CPO was asked why a criminal case was not registered against the attackers, he said: “After the report is received, the police will decide what to do.”

When contacted, Hanif Abbasi told Media that the PML-N activists were not involved in ransacking the police station.

Rape, kidnap FIRs lodged after a week, three years

 

Lahore police registered a rape case and four cases of kidnapping on August 8, 2016, which took place in various parts of the city a day and a week back and during the past three years.

City Raiwind police registered a case against three persons on charges of raping a girl on August 8, 2016, but the incident actually took place on July 6, 2016.

The victim was identified as S of the City Raiwind area. The victim was alone at home when Usman, Haroon and Khurshid overpowered her and took her to the fields where Usman repeatedly raped her. Police registered a case against three persons under Section 376 PPC on the complaint of the victim’s father. Misri Shah police registered a case against unidentified persons for kidnapping a 20-year-old mentally challenged youth on August 8, 2016, but the incident took place on August 21, 2013.

The victim was identified as Khalid, a brother of Mohammad Jehangir of Misri Shah. As per family, Khalid went out of his house on August 21, 2013 and did not turn up. The family believed that Khalid had been kidnapped by some unidentified kidnappers. Police have registered a case against unidentified kidnappers under Section 365 PPC on the complaint of Mohammad Jehangir.

Islampura police registered a case on 8th of August, 2016 against unidentified persons for kidnapping an advocate on August 4, 2016.

The victim was identified as Javed Iqbal, son of Nazeer Ahmad of Islampura. The victim Javed left his house to go to Civil Courts on August 4, and did not return home. On August 4, the family also received a call from a stranger who told that Javed’s life had been saved and he would reach home very soon. Islampura police have registered a case against unidentified persons under Section 365 PPC on the complaint of the victim’s father Nazeer Ahmad.

A 14-year-old boy was kidnapped by some unidentified persons from the limits of Ravi Road police station on August 8, 2016.

The kidnapped boy was identified as Ali Raza, son of Abid Hussain of Ravi Road. As per family, Ali Raza received a phone call of one of his friends and left home. Later, the family found his cell switched off. The family believed that Ali had been kidnapped by the caller who called him outside the house. Police have registered a case against unidentified persons under Section 365 PPC on the complaint of the victim’s father Abid Hussain.

Shalimar police registered a case against unidentified persons for kidnapping an 18-year-old youth on August 8, 2016, but the incident happened on August 6, 2016.

The kidnapped youth was identified as Husnain Ahmad, son of Ahmad Nawaz of Shalimar. As per family, Husnain went to Main Bazaar, Baghbanpura on August 6 to supply artificial thread to the local traders and went missing. The family believed that Husnain had been kidnapped by some unidentified kidnappers.

Police have registered a case against unidentified kidnappers under Section 365 PPC on the complaint of Ahmad Nawaz.

Sartaj invites Arab League’s attention to Indian atrocities in IHK

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister’s Adviser on Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz has written a letter to the secretary general of Arab League highlighting the horrific Indian brutalities in held Kashmir.

The adviser underscored that India has unleashed a reign of terror against the innocent and defenceless civilians since the extrajudicial killing of a young Kashmiri leader Burhan Wani on July 8, 2016, a press release issued by the foreign affairs ministry said here on Thursday. The adviser also emphasised that the current situation in held Kashmir was the result of continued denial by India of the right to self-determination of the people of Jammu and Kashmir that was promised to them by the UN resolutions.

It was emphasised that the current uprising was not an isolated incident but a manifestation of continued, deep, widespread and long-held alienation of the oppressed people of the Valley from the Indian occupation.

The adviser said the spontaneous and massive uprising was a manifestation that the Kashmir struggle was totally indigenous which cannot be equated with terrorism.

The Arab League countries were urged to call upon India to immediately stop the bloodshed and massacre in IHK and implement the pending UN resolutions on Kashmir.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif decided to resolutely move against proscribed organizations

ISLAMABAD: A high-level meeting presided over by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif decided to resolutely move against proscribed organizations, which keep floating under changed names, it is reliably learnt.

“Because of the planned action, the phenomenon of outlawed outfits, regardless of the names under which they are operating, will evaporate,” a credible source that did not want to be named told The News, citing these deliberations, which spanned ten hours over the past two days.

He said that the agencies have the precise information that some banned outfits were still engaged in illegal activities under different nomenclatures. “When evidence is available, it will not be difficult to proceed against them in a result-oriented manner.”

The source said this was a long-awaited action under the counterterrorism National Action Plan (NAP) and a decision was called for, which has now been taken. “There will be no dilly-dallying whatsoever from now on.”

He said that the prime minister will preside over another similar meeting, to be also attended by top military leadership, early next week in which ‘tasking’ will be done to different arms. The areas will be allocated in which they will operate, he said.

The source said that the task force will comprise representatives of the interior ministry, all premier civilian and military intelligence agencies, police and provincial home departments to monitor the progress in the implementation of the NAP.

He said that at least once in a month, the prime minister will chair the meetings of the task force to review the progress made and will issue necessary directions when required.

The source expected that since the representatives of all the key agencies, which were engaged in the anti-terrorism fight, were part of the task force, there would be much more coordination among the intelligence agencies that has been lacking especially between civilian and military outfits.

Already, he said, there is no problem of coordination between the civilian agency, the Intelligence Bureau, and provincial police particularly the Counter Terrorism Departments of the provinces.

“The operations would now be on a fast track under the NAP,” the source said and added that the Quetta carnage infused urgency in all the relevant quarters. He was of the view that everyone agreed that the campaign must be intensified.

He said that all aspects of the NAP came under discussion in the lengthy meetings. It was decided to elaborately move in the areas where action is immediately needed, he said. “The loopholes will now be plugged completely.”

The source said that the task force would frequently meet to deliberate upon the activities being undertaken across Pakistan against terrorists.

He said that provincial governments would be fully involved in these actions because it was difficult to achieve the desired success without their absolute cooperation and association.

The source said that high-level intensive discussions, attended by the chiefs of all key intelligence agencies and presided by the prime minister, were required since long to review flaws and shortcomings in the implementation of the NAP.

He said a proactive approach would be visible in various fields in the days to come for strict implementation of the NAP. However, he said there were no quick fixes and the fight against terrorists was a long haul to be continued with vigour and force at the time.

Peshawar: Police arrest gang responsible for kidnapping newborns

PESHAWAR: Police arrested a seven-member gang of suspected kidnappers on Friday. The gang allegedly used to abduct children from hospitals.

Police arrested alleged kidnappers who used to abduct newborns from hospitals and maternity homes and then sold them for a price ranging between Rs 70,000-300,000. The gang is composed of seven members of which two are men and five are women. The group used to allegedly hand over dead newborn babies to parents, with the help of the hospital administration. Meanwhile, they sold the newborn babies for money.

Among the gang members, the women are said to be Lady Health Workers. Raids are being conducted for the arrest of the remaining members of the gang while police also managed to rescue a girl that had been kidnapped.