IB official among six men shot dead in land dispute

LARKANA: Six people, including the Intelligence Bureau (IB) deputy director, were killed and seven others were wounded in an armed clash involving members of the Mugheri and Bouk clans in Pakhoo village of Qambar-Shahdadkot district on Thursday.

5501f92546ec0Reports from the area suggested that a group of Mugheris was working on a piece of land, some 19 kilometres from Larkana, when their rivals having claim to it intervened to stop them.

After arguing over the issue, the two sides attacked each other with firearms near the bypass road along the Indus Highway.

An unspecified number of people from both sides sustained wounds in the clash and 13 of them were rushed to the Chandka Medical College Hospital (CMCH) in Larkana. Some others were taken to the Qambar district headquarters hospital.

Officials at the CMCH said that six of the victims brought to the hospital succumbed to their wounds.

They identified the deceased victims as Mukhtiar Bouk (the IB deputy director), his driver, Ashique Hussain Bouk, Deedar Mugheri, Liaquat Mugheri, Ghulam Murtaza Mugheri and a passer-by, Mohammed Bukhsh Channa.

The bodies were handed over to the heirs after a post-mortem examination, they added.

They identified the wounded victims as Mohammed Nawaz Bouk, Zahid Hussain Lorar, Zahoor Mugheri, Abdul Razzaque Mugheri, Jamil Mugheri, Munir Mugheri and Shahzor Mugheri.The IB official who lost his life in the clash was posted in Islamabad and currently on leave to visit his village, it was learnt.

Police mounted security at the CMCH for the under-treatment victims and also deployed a heavy police posse in the troubled area.

Meanwhile, sources in the revenue department told NNP that the piece of agricultural land in question bore survey No. 17 and 18 and fell within the jurisdiction of the Pakhoo police station.

They said that some members of the Bouk clan had approached the Qambar-Shahdadkot district administration when the situation grew tense but the clash took place before it could intervene.

Residents of Pakhoo village said tension still ran high in the area but Rangers had joined the area police now to prevent a flare-up.

They said the law enforcement agencies personnel had managed to reopen the Indus Highway, which remained blocked during and after the clash.

Qambar-Shahdadkot SSP Sarfraz Nawaz told NNP in the evening that some suspects had been taken into custody for interrogation.

He said the situation had been brought under control.

Two more condemned prisoners hanged in Faisalabad jailPa

FAISALABAD: Two more death row prisoners were executed in Faisalabad Central Jail on Friday morning.

55024df6d544eBoth prisoners, Akhtar and Sajid, had been found guilty in separate offences of murder.

Anti-terrorism court (ATC), Faisalabad had awarded death sentence to Akhtar in 2001.

He had intruded into a house on December 10, 1999 and attempted to rape a woman. The culprit also stabbed to death the father-in-law of the victim named Manzoor, who had offered resistance to the culprit.

A compromised deal was reached late on Thursday night between the families of the victims and Akhtar to pardon the culprit late, but authorities rejected the case, terming all the cases of murder and rape as non-pardonable.

The appeals of the convict had already been rejected by the Lahore High Court and the Supreme Court. His mercy appeal was also turned down by the president.

The other death row convict, Muhammad Sajid, had killed a woman Khursheed Bibi and wounded her husband Azhar, on March 12, 2000, over a personal feud.

He was awarded death sentence by an ATC court in Faisalabad, on March 30, 2001.

Sajid’s petitions were also turn downed by the superior courts and his mercy appeal had also been rejected by the president.

It was the first ever hangings at the Faisalabad Central Jail. Since resumption, all previous executions had taken place in the city’s district jail.

With the latest hangings, the toll of executions to have taken place in Pakistan since the resumption on Dec 17, 2014 has reached 27.

Pakistan lifted its moratorium on the death penalty in all capital cases on March 10.

Initially executions were resumed for terrorism offences only in the wake of aTaliban massacre at an army-run school in Peshawar which had claimed the lives of more than 150 persons, mostly schoolchildren, on December 16, 2014.

The United Nations, the European Union, Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch have called on Pakistan to re-impose its moratorium on the death penalty.

Lakhvi’s detention declared void by IHC

ISLAMABAD: The detention orders of the alleged mastermind of the 2008 Mumbai attacks, Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, were declared void by the Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Friday.

55026c931f98bIHC’s Justice Noorul Haq accepted Lahvi’s appeal filed against his third time detention orders and ordered the immediate release of the alleged Mumbai attack mastermind.

The IHC had earlier reservred its decision over the application.

Lakhvi has been granted bail in both cases against him, including the 2008 Mumbai attack case and the six–year-old case pertaining to the kidnapping of an Afghan national.

Lakhvi is accused of being the mastermind of the November 2008 Mumbai attacks, which killed 166 people. The Pakistani government took Lakhvi and other suspects into custody in February 2009 for ‘facilitating’ the attacks.

The Special Investigation Unit (SIU) of the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) had also registered a First Information Report (FIR) against Lakhvi and six other alleged abettors in 2009.

In August 2009, Chaudhry Zulfiqar Ali was appointed special prosecutor in the case. Later, Advocate Mohammad Azhar Chaudhry was also appointed senior prosecutor.

After the murder of Chaudhry Zulfiqar on May 3, 2013, the FIA handed over the job to Abuzar Hasnain Pirzada.

Read: Legal loopholes led to Lakhvi’s bailing out

India and some other countries took strong exception to the granting of bailto Lakhvi by an anti-terrorism court, only a couple of days after theDecember 16 terrorist attacks on Army Public School, Peshawar.

This had forced the government to detain Lakhvi under the Maintenance of Public Order (MPO).

The IHC on December 29 suspended the detention order, but the Supreme Court on January 7 restored Lakhvi’s detention and asked the IHC to decide the matter after hearing the federal government.

The prosecution in the Mumbai attacks case has also filed a petition seeking the cancellation of Lakhvi’s bail.

In the petition, the FIA’s special prosecutor claimed that, “The fact remained that being the prosecution in such cases has been the most difficult job in our country for the last many years.” The petition further states, “Even in this case, the prosecutors have been receiving threats on their cellphones during the proceedings which were duly conveyed to the concerned authorities. The witnesses are also not protected and were reluctant to depose against the accused persons in the given situation.”

The government, in the meantime, had registered another FIR against Lakhvi on December 29 in a six-year-old case of the kidnapping of an Afghan national.

Lakhvi through his lawyer had filed petitions for his acquittal in the kidnapping case and for setting aside his detention order. Bail was again granted to Lakhvi on Jan 8, this time in the kidnapping case.

In-camera hearing of the petition filed by Lakhvi against his detention under the MPO were held initially, during which the federal government submitted on Tuesday some ‘classified documents’ before the court.

The court then resumed hearing in the open court.

On Mar 2, IHC directed the federal government not to register any new case against Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, without informing the court